Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Ok, so I know I've been slacking on the posts, sorry. :-) I will post more pics of vacations along with a recipe or two soon. Right now I have to start working on a new set of menus for the nest two weeks. I have my Pampered Chef Conference next weekend and I will have to do the 2 weeks of meals again. I gained 2 more clients (thank you!) while I was on vacation, so my challenges keep coming!

But, what inspired me to write this post was a conversation I was just having with my brother who is visiting me for a few days. I was researching some recipes and ideas online and I was reading a recipe when I noticed "onion powder" as an ingredient. While I have nothing against onion powder, I had to wonder, "why the powder"? Why not an actual onion?? The recipe was for a Chicken Noodle Casserole. So, I am thinking, Chicken Noodle Soup without the soup, basically...right? As I scan the recipe for some kind of veggie I notice none. There is only onion powder. I was totally offended!! hahaha So, I'll add carrots, celery and onion for a healthier and much better tasting recipe.

That also brought to mind a recipe I viewed before the Chicken Noodle Casserole, a Summer Squash Casserole. They wanted me to saute the onion, garlic and yellow squash. Then they wanted me to bake the casserole for 45 min in the oven. By the time the casserole is fully baked the veggies will be mush and all of the nutrients will have leeched out leaving nothing, really, but fat and dairy.

Then I realized something. I make a broccoli casserole with broccoli, celery and onion as the veggies. I do NOT cook them before I bake the casserole. I simply combine all ingredients and bake. I did this because I was tired of mushy broccoli in my casseroles! Everyone who has ever had my broccoli casserole has raved about it. Now I know why! The real flavor is in the crisp celery, onion and broccoli! Not the cheese and cream of chicken soup! With every bite you get a fresh, crunchy burst of celery, onion and broccoli. Mmmm.....I wonder if I have any in the fridge?

Anyway, to all of my fellow cooks, try making your next casserole by skipping the saute step. Just combine your veg and wet ingredients and bake according to the instructions. You will see an improvement in the flavor, texture and nutritional value. If you are going to eat your veggies, you might as well get all of the benefits they offer, right??

5 comments:

Casie said...

Wow, sounds like you have another busy week! Great Post!

Gayle said...

Shanna, I think it's about time we hear about something new. What's up with you? Your Aunt is patiently waiting.
Had a great vacation with everybody. Hope to do it next year, too. Love, A. G.

Joyce said...

Shanna,

Where are you? It has been too long. Give your fans an update!!

Gayle said...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Gayle said...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ